Auditions for our musical season typically take place in late August and early January. We invite you to indicate your interest in an audition via the form below, and our Membership Chair will contact you.
Our next auditions will be sometime in Jan 2019, keep checking back here, we will eventually (Nov?) post specifics. The Request form (not yet updated for Jan 2019 auds) will allow you to specify what dates/times you prefer for your audition.Request an Audition
- Auditions take place at the Cary Arts Center (map), in the Marcus Dry room, unless otherwise noted.
- We’ll work with you to schedule a specific 10 minute increment.
- Your audition is private with our Artistic Director, our accompanist, and sometimes one membership committee member.
- An accompanist will be provided. We do not use prerecorded music in auditions.
- Selections do not need to be from memory, but if you use music bring an extra copy for the accompanist.
- You will be notified by email regarding your audition results.
Symphonic Choir candidates:
The Symphonic Choir is our primary large ensemble that performs in most concerts; about 110 people. Please prepare any song of your choosing that is at your comfort level that you believe shows you at your best. As an alternative, you may sing America the Beautiful or any other hymn of your choice. It is important that you come prepared to sing something specific.
The Chorale is a large subgroup of the Symphonic Choir, used for select additional performances; about 70 people. Be prepared to sing a song or aria from the classical tradition that you feel shows you at your best. Ideally, it should be in a foreign language and demonstrate ability at singing fast melismatic passages. In addition to your selection include the following excerpts from Handel’s Messiah:
For Unto us a Child is Born (PDF)
-Soprano: Measures 7-18
-Alto: Measures 56-61
-Tenor: Measures 38-41
-Bass: Measures 19-25
All We Like Sheep (PDF)
-Soprano: Measures 11-29
-Alto: Measures 13-23
-Tenor: Measures 23-43
-Bass: Measures 43-53
Chamber Choir candidates:
The Chamber Choir is a select small ensemble that performs regularly throughout the season; about 35 people. Advanced musicianship and strong music reading skills are necessary. Prepare two pieces as described for “Chorale Candidates” above (song/aria and excerpt from Unto Us a Child is Born) PLUS “But All Shall Be Well” from James Whitbourn’s Luminosity Movement X (10) (excerpt pages 79- 82) (PDF).